Smoking weed is good for you! It’s natural God made it, so nothing is wrong with it! Smoking tobacco is more harmful than weed so what is the big deal? The bible doesn’t say anything about how you can’t smoke weed! The bible says that you can smoke weed and Jesus did it!
These are the “logic” clamorings of the weed activist.
Unfortunately, and perhaps more significantly and saddening is the fact that these statements are the hallmark of the self-fulfilling rationale weed users/advocates use as justification today – discarding the true Justifier (Romans 3:26). I have met several people who I care for with all my heart that struggle with this idolatry (Exodus 20:3). That’s right, it isn’t just an addiction but it is an idol! To partake in a “recreational activity” and expend copious amounts of effort to fight for, defend, and strain to put together loose logic and inaccurate reasoning is quite sad. One must question the origin of such misplaced zeal and realize that this zeal serves as an outward sign of the enslavement and mastery marijuana has on many of its users. I have seen people change. I have seen personalities morph, split and oscillate between kind, gentle and true to agitated, frustrated, angry, and zealous for a cause at best not worth fighting for and at worst a fight for a morally bankrupt enterprise known as legalizing/using marijuana.
I have spent many hours reading medical journals, researching the biblical arguments, and understanding the psycho-chemical impact on the body both positive and negative. All this not because I think the argument for smoking weed is truly worth a puff of effort but only because my heart breaks for those who are suffering from that which they are defending. Satan has truly duped us when he has us fighting for mass adoption of sin (e.g. homosexuality, abortion, etc.).
Pardon me as I will not be getting into the weeds of this debate (pun intended) for the time being by exploring the flaws of the arguments as that will come later but I write this as my heart was burdened to share my thoughts with you after watching the below video – please honestly listen and reflect.
Key considerations for this “debate” to be understood as cumulative not discrete:
1) Idolatry: Its role as replacing God and becoming that which we worship (Romans 1:25)
2) Addictive: The nature of marijuana as an addictive agent (Romans 6:6–7)
3) Mind-altering: How it changes our mind and affects our thought process. (Galatians 5:19-21, Ephesians 5:18)
4) Illegal: It is illegal (for now and in most places) (Romans 13:1-2)
5) False: There is no solid academic evidence nor scriptural basis to justify biblical support of marijuana. (Entire Bible)
6) Perverting Truth and God’s creation: Just because God “made it” doesn’t mean it is meant to be smoked or abused in that way. (e.g. God made poison ivy – you wouldn’t rub it on your body, God made poisonous mushrooms – you wouldn’t eat them, God made the sexual mechanism and familial structure that beget children – you can’t just do whatever you want with them, God made our sexual organs – and it doesn’t mean you can simply experience it as you desire (homosexuality, fornication, adultery, pedophilia))
Some helpful verses:
- “as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.” – 2 Peter 3:16
- “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.” – 1 Peter 5:8
- “There is a way that seems right to a man, but its end is the way to death.” – Proverbs 14:12
Some helpful articles:
This is me sharing about what is running through my mind…